Tuesday 9 January 2007

More DIY ineptitudes...

Sunday evening I bit the DIY bullet again and tried to carry out some fairly simple plumbing. I had to disconnect the wahing machine as someone was taking it away. We were getting a new one, you see.

I turned the taps of under the sink to stop the water flow and then disconnected the pipes from the back of the washing machine...

Suddenly I was being sprayed with a jet of water so strong it could rival a fire engine's pump. I was soaked, the children were screaming, the dog was barking and the poor lady who had come to collect the washing machine was left holding the baby while Becky rushed around trying to find towels to mop up the lake that was threatening to engulf not only our kitchen but the whole of our ground floor.

I finally found the tiny little valve which turned the water off. It was hidden under the sink, through a tiny little hatch and down some stairs leading into a small basement room which was guarded by 3 tigers and a hungry elephant... Well, it was quite hard to find anyway...

So I disconnected the old washing machine, leaving the kitchen sink and the dishwasher out of commission for a couple of days.

The new washing machine arrived. It looks awesome. I decided to attach it, but this one only has space to attach one pipe, whereas the last had 2... I worked that puzzle out but then had to connect the exhaust pipe to the U-bend under the sink...

Unfortunately I had given away a vital part of the U-bend to the lady with the washing machine. I hadn't realised that at the time, so had to replace a whole U-bend.

So, a job that should have taken 5 minutes, took almost two hours and included a trip to B&Q, a new U-bend, a lot of water and stress levels going through the roof.

Sometimes I think I should just leave these things to professionals... I'll stick with playing guitar...

No comments: