Wednesday 22 November 2006

NZ Police Assessment Day


I attended the assessment day.


The recuitment team were honest, open and direct. They told us exactly what it was really like in New Zealand.


I failed the run but passed all other aspects of the recruitment day and by the time I returned home to my parents I already had an email telling me that provided I returned to do the run within two weeks and improved my time, then I had a job with them.


I have turned them down.


It was a hard decision. I wanted to go, because the weather looked so good. The people seemed so friendly and the scenery was fantastic. My kids would have been able to take part in a myriad of sports and would have all the open space they could want to run around in, but...


It's not for now. I know that now. On the day I went there was nothing making my heart skip a beat at the thought of going. There was no longing, no desire to go, and yet I am still sad at this decision.


The interviewer asked me whether I would be taking over much equity. I explained how much we would be able to afford to take and he informed me that we would struggle. We would not get on the property ladder. We would have little residual income, if any, and would have to survive without family networks.


He also told me that the police in NZ have almost 3 times the paperwork that British officers have.


Taking all that into consideration, along with my strong gut feelings, which at this time I can only assume are from God, I have decided to turn the job down.


If I have closed a door through misinterpreting Him, then I know he will get me back on the right path, after all, he got Jonah back on the right path and Jonah deisobeyed him on purpose!


Right now though, I feel called to stay in Southampton and serve Him here.


And as I typed that last sentence, a feeling of peace has come upon me and I am smiling!


See you soon.


Alex

No comments: